Prep 1 hr
Cook 6 hrs 30 mins
For the best flavor, this should be made with sweet summer tomatoes.
- 2 lbs ripe tomatoes
- 4 cups sugar
- 1 (2 ounce) box dry pectin (optional)
- 2 lemons, zest of
- 2 oranges, zest of
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1 (4 inch) chunk fresh ginger, peeled and grated
- 2 cinnamon sticks
- Peel, core, seed, and slice the tomatoes.
- In a slow cooker, combine the tomatoes, sugar, pectin (if using), lemon and orange zests, lemon juice, ginger, and cinnamon sticks.
- Cover and cook on LOW for 2 1/2 hours, stirring twice during cooking.
- Remove lid from cooker, turn up to HIGH and cook 2-4 hours longer, until the jam reaches the desired consistency; dischard cinnamon sticks.
- Ladle the warm jam into clean spring-top glass jars (or use screw tops with new lids); let stand until cool.
- Store, covered, in the refrigerator for up to 4 months.
- Alternative: may spoon into small plastic storage containers and freeze for up to 2 months.