Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr
Very similar to the Lasagna soups out there...with a more appealing name. I have found people are grossed out by that name, but the soup itself is amazing!!! Really, it is just a beefed up tomato soup!!
- 1 -1 1⁄2 lb bulk Italian sausage (I use hot, but sweet or hot)
- 1 cup onion, chopped
- 2 cups carrots, diced
- 2 cups mushrooms, sliced
- 4 tablespoons garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon oregano
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 dash black pepper
- 10 cups chicken broth
- 1 (28 ounce) can whole tomatoes, chopped
- 1 (28 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 2 cups whole wheat rotini (can sub white)
- 1 (7 -9 ounce) package frozen spinach
- 1 cup fresh mozzarella cheese, diced into small cubes
- 1⁄4 cup parmesan cheese, shredded (for garnish)
- Brown sausage in a large saucepan over medium-high heat. Add onions and carrots; saute 3 minutes. Stir in mushrooms and garlic, and saute another 3 minutes.
- Add broth,spices, tomatoes, tomato sauce, spinach and bring to a boil. Cook for about 30 minute Drop in pasta and simmer until cooked, about 10 minutes, or according to package directions.
- Place a couple tablespoons diced cheese into serving bowls and pour soup on top. Garnish with Parmesan and enjoy!