Prep 24 hrs
Cook 1 hr
Tomatoey and sweet! Easy and good too! Prep time includes letting sit overnight.
- 1 lb yellow pear tomato
- 1 lb sugar (about 2 cups)
- 2 lemons, pulp and zest
- 2 ounces preserved gingerroot, cut in small pieces
- Cover tomatoes with boiling water and let stand until the skins can be slipped off.
- Add sugar and let stand overnight.
- In the morning, pour off the syrup and boil until it is fairly thick.
- (I'm not sure how long this takes).
- Slice just the zest of the lemon, leaving the white bitter part out. Cut up the pulp, eliminating the seeds.
- Add tomatoes, lemons, and ginger.
- Cook until the tomatoes have a clear look and the syrup is like honey.
- Fill jelly glasses with mixture and seal.
I made this a few months back when I had an excess of yellow tomatoes in my garden. We finally tried it today. It was actually quite nice with the consistency of honey but a little on the bitter side. I didn't know whether to leave the lemon slices in the finished product or to remove them, so I left them in. Otherwise, it is very good on toast.