Recipe by sarajweyland
Great meal if you are in a hurry. For varriation you can add some chopped spinach right at the end.
- 100 g pearl barley
- 1 kg ripe tomatoes, chopped
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, chopped
- 2 tablespoons fresh basil leaves
- 1 teaspoon fresh oregano, chopped
Directions See How It's Made
- Soak pearl barley in cold water for 10 minute Drain and rinse well.
- Place tomatoes, onion, and garlic in large pan and cook over low heat for 20 minute.
- Break up the tomatoes with a spoon as they cook.
- Add 500 ml boiling water and basil stalks. Simmer for 10 minutes then remove from the heat and allow to cool.
- Place mixture in food processor (or use hand blender). Return to the pan and add the barley. Bring back to a boil, then lower the heat and simmer for 20 minutes Add more water if needed.
- Serve in bowls and garnish with basil and oregano leaves.