Prep 10 mins
Cook 30 mins
WBIR & Tomato Head, great soup dish.
- 1⁄2 cup oil
- 3⁄4 cup onion, chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 small butternut squash, peeled seeded and chopped (about 4 cups)
- 4 cups water
- 1 tablespoon ginger, grated
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 cup heavy cream
- Heat oil in a medium pot over medium heat.
- Add onions and saute until translucent, add garlic and squash and saute 1 minute.
- Add water and ginger, increase heat to high and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat to low, simmer covered for 30 minutes or until squash is soft, remove from heat, add salt and heavy cream.
- If using tradional blender allow soup to cool, blend and reheat before serving.
- If using an immersion blender, blend soup and serve.
I used 2Tablespoons of olive oil to saute the onions and garlic b/c a half cup seemed like way too much. My DH and I felt that the flavor was quite bland and I had to jazz it up with pepper and extra salt. I was tempted to use chicken broth instead of water but I wanted to try to stick to the recipe as written. I subbed half and half for the cream. I liked the flavor of the ginger. Made for My 3 Chefs.