Prep 10 mins
Cook 15 mins
This is served over biscuits in our home. It is a really common dish in southern homes.
- 3 large tomatoes or 1 (15 ounce) can stewed tomatoes
- 1⁄2 cup cooking oil (I prefer olive oil)
- 1⁄2 cup flour
- salt and pepper
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 cup water
- Peel and chop tomatoes, set aside.
- Heat large heavy skillet, I prefer an iron skillet.
- Pour in oil.
- Add flour to oil and lightly brown flour, stirring constantly.
- Add tomatoes, salt, pepper, sugar and water.
- Simmer on low heat until tomatoes are cooked.
- You may have to add a little water as this cooks, if it becomes too thick.
- Serve over rice, mashed potatoes, biscuits, etc.
I was a little perplexed by this recipe. I followed the recipe, but ended up adding another cup of water to get a gravy consistency. It was a quick fix, and being from the North, it was not something I had ever had. I will certainly make this again, but use half the oil and flour.
Great over rice!!! Yum!!!
We loved this gravy! I used fresh tomatoes and bacon drippings instead of oil. I had some left over and it reheated nicely the next day. Thanks for sharing this great recipe!