Prep 15 mins
Cook 15 mins
I saw this on our local morning news show (Fox8 WGHP) this morning and it is just like what my Mama used to make! Wonderful over biscuits!! I was so excited i had to put it here for safe keeping
- 1 cup yellow onion, diced small
- 1⁄4 cup bacon grease
- 1⁄4 cup all-purpose flour
- 4 cups canned tomatoes (drained)
- 2 cups chicken stock
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme leaves
- 1 teaspoon cracked black pepper
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons sugar
- 1 tablespoon salt (or to taste)
- Heat pot over medium heat and sauté onions in bacon grease until golden.
- Add flour and continue stirring until “wet sand” appearance is achieved.
- Add tomatoes and stir until warmed through.
- Add chicken stock, spices and sugar; lower heat to simmer and simmer until flour taste is gone.
- Add more stock if gravy becomes too thick.
- Pulse with an immersion blender; desired consistency should be a chunky puree.
- Makes – 1 quart.