Recipe by ChefDebs
My Dh had a horrible head cold and couldnt taste anything, and i had tons of tomatoes from the garden, he pronounced this soup tasty and soothing, the cayenne pepper gives it a kick. To serve for company drizzle a little heavy cream over the top and chopped chives.The parmesan is optional, try the soup first to decide if you want it , because it does change the flavour quite a bit.
Top Review by CamillaS
I found this surfing the web for a recipe to use ginger , garlic and tomatoes in a soup and voila!! This came out great. I tried a version not pureed and added potatoes for a simple stone soup.
- 20 heirloom tomatoes, peeled and cored
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 2 tablespoons minced gingerroot
- 2 fresh cayenne peppers, minced
- 2 teaspoons coriander seeds, crushed
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 2 chicken bouillon cubes
- salt and pepper
- 2 tablespoons grated parmesan cheese
Directions See How It's Made
- Liquidise all the tomatoes in a blender, put aside,.
- In a large saucepan , heat the olive oil on med/high. Add the coriander and cumin and cook for 2 minutes.
- Add the onions, garlic, ginger and cayenne peppers to the pan and saute on medium until onions are soft ( 5 mins).
- Add the pureed tomatoes and bouillon cubes and bring to boil.
- Simmer for 40 minutes.
- Add sugar and salt and pepper to season.
- Liquidise the soup in blender in batches, be careful if hot.( you can let it cool down, then liquidise it and rewarm when ready to use ).
- Ladle into soup bowls and sprinkle with parmesan cheese if desired.