Prep 20 mins
Cook 30 mins
A really good tomato soup for company taken from Canada's Chatelaine magazine
- 4 slices bacon
- 1 small red onions or 1⁄2 large red onion
- 5 large plums or 4 medium tomatoes
- 1 teaspoon mustard (optional)
- 3⁄4 cup gin
- 2 (10 ounce) cans tomato soup
- 1 -2 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1⁄2 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- Place bacon in a medium-size saucepan set over medium heat. Cook, turning occasionally, until bacon is crispy, about 8 minutes. If bacon browns too quickly, reduce heat to medium-low. Meanwhile, finely chop onion. Remove cores from tomatoes, then coarsely chop.
- When bacon is cooked, remove from pan and place on a paper towel. Drain and discard all but 2 teaspoons (10 mL) fat from pan. Reduce heat to medium-low, then add onion. Stir often until slightly soft, about 4 minutes. Increase heat to medium and add tomatoes along with any juice to pan. Stir in mustard, if using. Using a wooden spoon, scrape up and stir in any brown bits from pan bottom to add flavour. Stir often until tomatoes begin to soften, about 10 minutes. Meanwhile, crumble or slice bacon and set aside.
- Increase heat to medium-high. Stir in gin. Cook, stirring often, 2 minutes. Then stir in undiluted soup and 2 soup cans water to dilute it. Stir often until blended and hot, about 3 minutes. Stir in bacon, 1 tablespoon (15 mL) Worcestershire and pepper. Taste, then add remaining Worcestershire, if needed. Serve right away or refrigerate up to 3 days or freeze up to 2 months.
- MARVELOUS MUSHROOMS: This recipe also tastes great with sautéed mushrooms. Finely chop 1/2 pound (250 g) button mushrooms, then add to pan along with onion. Continue with recipe as written above.