Lori Jones's Note:
This came from one of my magazines. It has a lot of flavor even though it is a light soup. I made it with basil instead of parsley to add a little more flavor. We had a tossed salad and baked bread for a nice dinner.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 4 large tomatoes, cored (about 2 1/2 pounds)
- 2 quarts water
- 2 quarts ice water
- 1 1/4 cups uncooked seashell pasta
- 4 teaspoons olive oil
- 3/4 cup finely chopped red onion
- 8 cloves garlic, thinly sliced
- 1 cup water
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh flat leaf parsley
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh chives
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh oregano
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh thyme
- 2 (14 ounce) cans fat-free chicken broth
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 8 slices diagonally cut French baguettes (about 1 inch thick, 1/2 oz)
- 1/2 cup grated fresh parmesan cheese (2 oz)
- fresh thyme sprig
- 1Score bottom of each tomato with an"x".
- 2Bring 2 quarts water to a boil in a dutch oven.
- 3Add tomatoes cook 30 seconds.
- 4Remove tomatoes with a slotted spoon, plunge tomatoes into ice water.
- 5Drain and peel.
- 6Cut each tomato in half crosswise.
- 7Push seeds our of tomato halves using the tip of a knife, discard seeds.
- 8Chop tomatoes.
- 9Cook pasta according to directions, omitting salt and fat; drain.
- 10Toss pasta with 1 teaspoon oil.
- 11Cool completely.
- 12Heat 1 Tablespoon oil in dutch oven over medium-low heat.
- 13Add onion, cook 7 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- 14Add garlic, cook 3 minutes or until onion is tender stirring frequently.
- 15Stir in the tomatoes, 1 cup of water, parsley, chives, oregano, thyme, and broth; bring to a boil.
- 16Reduce heat and simmer for 20 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- 17Add pasta, vinegar, and pepper; cook 1 minute or until thoroughly heated.
- 18Preheat broiler.
- 19Place bread slices on a baking sheet, and top each slice with 1 Tablespoon cheese.
- 20Broil 1 1/2 minutes or until lightly browned.
- 21Serve with the soup.
- 22Garnish with fresh thyme sprigs, if desired.
Browse Our Top Brunch Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Tomato Garlic Soup with Parmesan Croutons
Serving Size: 1 (1069 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 617.2
- Calories from Fat 118
- Total Fat 13.1 g
- Saturated Fat 3.8 g
- Cholesterol 11.0 mg
- Sodium 1815.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 101.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 7.8 g
- Sugars 7.4 g
- Protein 23.3 g