Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 20 mins
Cook 30 mins
This came from one of my magazines. It has a lot of flavor even though it is a light soup. I made it with basil instead of parsley to add a little more flavor. We had a tossed salad and baked bread for a nice dinner.
- 4 large tomatoes, cored (about 2 1/2 pounds)
- 2 quarts water
- 2 quarts ice water
- 1 1⁄4 cups uncooked seashell pasta
- 4 teaspoons olive oil
- 3⁄4 cup finely chopped red onion
- 8 cloves garlic, thinly sliced
- 1 cup water
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh flat leaf parsley
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh chives
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh oregano
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh thyme
- 2 (14 ounce) cans fat-free chicken broth
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 8 slices diagonally cut French baguettes (about 1 inch thick, 1/2 oz)
- 1⁄2 cup grated fresh parmesan cheese (2 oz)
- fresh thyme sprig
- Score bottom of each tomato with an"x".
- Bring 2 quarts water to a boil in a dutch oven.
- Add tomatoes cook 30 seconds.
- Remove tomatoes with a slotted spoon, plunge tomatoes into ice water.
- Drain and peel.
- Cut each tomato in half crosswise.
- Push seeds our of tomato halves using the tip of a knife, discard seeds.
- Chop tomatoes.
- Cook pasta according to directions, omitting salt and fat; drain.
- Toss pasta with 1 teaspoon oil.
- Cool completely.
- Heat 1 Tablespoon oil in dutch oven over medium-low heat.
- Add onion, cook 7 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add garlic, cook 3 minutes or until onion is tender stirring frequently.
- Stir in the tomatoes, 1 cup of water, parsley, chives, oregano, thyme, and broth; bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat and simmer for 20 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add pasta, vinegar, and pepper; cook 1 minute or until thoroughly heated.
- Preheat broiler.
- Place bread slices on a baking sheet, and top each slice with 1 Tablespoon cheese.
- Broil 1 1/2 minutes or until lightly browned.
- Serve with the soup.
- Garnish with fresh thyme sprigs, if desired.