Recipe by GT in SA
A spicy Thai-style dish with complex flavors that goes well with steamed or fried rice. I concocted this recipe after purchasing and preparing an off-the-shelf packet of ready-made tomato-garlic sauce in Malaysia.
- 750 g prawns, shelled and deveined, tails on
- 2 teaspoons flour (for thickening)
- 3 tablespoons oil, your preference (to saute prawns)
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic or 1 teaspoon garlic paste
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons honey
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat oil in skillet until very hot but not smoking.
- Meanwhile, mix ingredients for sauce.
- Saute prawns in hot oil until they turn white/pink but are not completely cooked (approximately 3 minutes).
- Turn heat down, add sauce, cover and simmer for 2 more minutes.
- Mix flour with a small amount of water, add to sauce and cook until sauce has thickened (approximately 1 minute).
- Serve with sides of your choice.