Prep 10 mins
Cook 1 hr
Comfort food. Garlic is good for you and tastes great. If you like french onion soup, this is a nice addition to your soup collection. A salad is good with this soup for a light meal.
- 20 garlic cloves (more if you like)
- 2 medium onions, sliced
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 cups tomatoes, peeled and chopped
- 2 cups tomato juice
- 2 cups beef broth
- 8 slices French baguettes, toasted
- 4 ounces swiss cheese
- Blanche the garlic for about 30 seconds until slightly soft.
- Cool, peel, and thinly slice.
- Saute onions in oil until they are soft and golden.
- About 10-15 minutes.
- Add garlic, tomatoes and tomato juice to onions.
- Bring to a boil, then reduce and simmer 30 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 450°F.
- Add beef broth and bring back to a boil.
- Ladle into oven-proof bowls and top with toast and cheese.
- Put in oven until cheese is melted.
I changed recipe slightley. I added the can of tomatoes with its juce instead of fresh tomatoes. Have never used so much garlic but thought Id try the right amount. IT was fabulous even my hubby loved it so told him after eating how many cloves He said I should reply to say how great it was. And many thanks.!!
I took a few liberties with your recipe. I cut out the tomatoe juice, changed the stock from beef to chicken and increased the stock to make up for cutting out the tomatoe juice and it was super. Is'nt it amazing how many people are afraid to use 30 cloves of garlic? It is the natural source of wellness! Thanks!!!!
I love the flavor that this soup has! I had to make a double-batch because I just couldn't get enough of it! I didn't make any changes or substitutions, I liked it as is. Thank you for this yummy recipe!