Prep 15 mins
Cook 3 mins
This appetiser is just wonderful with any dish! I love ripe fresh tomato with garlic and this dish is so well received at dinner parties! I have substituted apple juice for olive oil in part of this recipe to make the dish reasonably low-fat, some recipes call for 1/2 cup oil! The apple juice works beautifully with tomato!
- 4 ripe tomatoes, coarsely chopped
- 1 Spanish onion, coarsely chopped
- 59.14 ml parsley, finely chopped
- 1 garlic clove, finely chopped
- 44.37 ml apple juice
- 44.37 ml balsamic vinegar
- salt & pepper
- 1 garlic clove, peeled
- 29.58 ml olive oil
- 8 slice ciabatta (thick slices)
- Mix roughly chopped tomatoes, onion, parsley & garlic, apple juice and vinegar in a shallow bowl.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Cover bowl and let tomatoes marinate at room temperature for about 1-2 hour.
- Stir occasionally to distribute flavours.
- Meanwhile, heat the grill/broiler.
- For the bread rub one side with garlic and brush with a little olive oil and grill/broil them oiled-side up until lightly browned.
- Place a good 2-3 spoonful of tomato mixture on each slice and serve with a fork and knife.
It is a great recipe. I will try it soon. Keep them coming. J. Gino Genovesi
Excellent flavors. The only change I made was I used a red onion instead of the Spanish and sprinkled some Parmesan cheese on top. This made for a great lunch. The apple juice is a great idea to cut some of the fat. Thanks Made for PAC Spring 2010 :)