Recipe by cookiedog
This recipe is representing Greece for ZWT 6. Keftedes (meatballs) are a favorite treat all over Greece whether they are made of ground meat, chickpeas, fish roe or vegetables. The vegetable ones made with Santorini tomatoes are especially good. From Bon Appetit Tastes of the World.
- 1 1⁄3 cups diced seeded peeled plum tomatoes
- 2⁄3 cup finely diced zucchini
- 1⁄2 cup finely chopped onion
- 2 tablespoons chopped of fresh mint
- 1⁄2 cup all-purpose flour
- 3⁄4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 pinch ground cinnamon
- 1⁄4 cup olive oil (or more)
Directions See How It's Made
- Combine diced tomatoes, zucchini, onion and mint in small bowl. Combine flour, baking powder, salt, pepper and cinnamon in medium bowl. Stir vegetable mixture into dry ingredients.
- Heat 1/4 cup olive oil in heavy large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Working in batches and adding more oil as necessary, drop batter by rounded tablespoonfuls into oil. Cook until golden brown, about 2 minutes per side. Transfer to paper towels and drain. Serve immediately.