Prep 30 mins
Cook 10 mins
You say tomato, I say Frittata. Tomatoes are so good for you. I found this recipe in a WebMD magazine at my Dr's office.
- 1⁄2 cup onion, finely chopped
- 1⁄2 cup green bell pepper, finely chopped
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- salt and pepper
- 2 large eggs
- 1⁄2 cup egg substitute
- 1⁄2 cup swiss cheese or 1⁄2 cup sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
- cooking spray
- 1 large vine ripened tomatoes, cut in half and sliced thin
- 1⁄2 teaspoon italian seasoning
- In a 9-inch non-stick skillet, cook the onion and bell pepper with salt and pepper to taste in 2 teaspoons of olive oil over medium heat, stirring often, until onion and pepper is tender, about 3 minutes.
- In a mixing bowl, beat or whisk together the eggs, egg substitute, and cheese; add the bell pepper mixture and whisk together until well combined.
- Spray the 9-inch skillet with cooking spray ,start heating the skillet again over mediun heat until hot and quickly pour in the egg mixture, distributing the bell pepper and onion evenly.
- While it begins to cook, arrange tomato slices decoratively on the top, then sprinkle the 1/2 teaspoon of Italian seasoning on top; Cover skillet and cook( WITHOUT stirring) for about 6 minutes, or until the frittata is set and the bottom is nicely brown.
- If desired, broil the frittata under a preheated broiler, about 4-inches from the heat, for 2 minutes to lightly brown the top; let cool in skillet for 5 minutes; slide the frittata onto a serving plate, cut into wedges and serve it warm or at room temperature.
This was my first time cooking a frittata, so I didn't really know what to expect. It actually took me about twice as long to cook it because I was afraid to turn the heat up too high. I didn't want the bottom to burn. For some reason, I always thought frittatas would be hard to make. So not true! This could not have been easier to make following Barb's excellent directions. The flavor was outstanding. I used a roma tomato sliced lengthwise and just a pinch of Italian seasoning. Thanks for sharing this recipe Barb and giving me the enjoyable adventure I had in trying a new type of food!
This was so good, Barb. Has a lot of my favorite things in it. Used white cheddar cheese and just before serving, sprinkled a little grated Parmesan cheese and fresh chopped parsley on top. Absolutely delicious. Thanks for posting.