Recipe by Marie
I just found this recipe on the internet and it looks fantastic. French bread slices replace the noodles in this lasagna like dish. Definitely on my priority list to try.
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1⁄3 cup chopped onion
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- salt and pepper (to taste)
- 14 slices French bread, sliced 1/2 inch thick
- 4 large tomatoes, sliced 1/2 inch thick
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 teaspoon dried parsley
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 3⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon black pepper
- 3 teaspoons olive oil, divided
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 1 1⁄2 cups milk
- 1⁄3 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese
Directions See How It's Made
- In a skillet, brown lightly salted and peppered ground beef, onion and garlic; drain and set aside.
- Toast bread and line the bottom of an ungreased 13 x 9 baking dish with 10 slices.
- Top with half of the meat mixture and half of the tomatoes.
- Combine seasonings and sprinkle half over tomatoes.
- Drizzle with 1 1/2 teaspoons olive oil.
- Crumble remaining bread over top.
- Repeat layers of meat, tomatoes, seasonings and oil.
- In a saucepan over medium heat, melt the butter.
- Stir in flour.
- Gradually stir in milk and bring to a boil.
- Cook and stir until thick and bubbly, about 2 minutes.
- Remove from the heat and stir in Parmesan.
- Pour over casserole.
- Top with mozzarella cheese.
- Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 40 minutes or until bubbly and cheese is golden brown.