Recipe by JenPo
We started making this when my husband had to go on his kidney diet. We make it often now because it is very versatile, simple, and tasty. All of the ingredients in the sauce and toppings are adjustable or can be substituted or omitted.
For pizza dough
- 1 1⁄4 ounces active dry yeast
- 1 cup warm water
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 2 1⁄2 cups flour
For pizza sauce
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon red pepper flakes
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 4 basil leaves, chopped
- 1 fresh minced garlic clove
- 4 large mushrooms, sliced
- 1⁄4 red bell pepper, sliced
- 7 -8 black olives, sliced
- 1 link Italian sausage, cooked and thinly sliced
- 3 leaves torn fresh basil
- 3⁄4 lb mozzarella cheese
Directions See How It's Made
- For the dough:.
- Dissolve yeast in warm water.
- Stir in remaining ingredients.
- Beat about 20 strokes, then allow to rest covered about 5 minutes.
- Roll out in a pizza pan, building up crust along the edges.
- For the sauce:.
- Combine all ingredients.
- Brush on top of dough, including crust.
- For the toppings:.
- Scatter all but mozzarella onto crust evenly.
- Top with shredded mozzarella.
- Bake at 400°F for about 11-12 minutes. Pizza is done when crust is golden and cheese is melted.