Recipe by English_Rose
This makes a change from the more usual cheese fondue. Serve with cubes of fresh crusty bread for dipping.
- 1 ounce butter
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 1⁄2 lbs chopped tomatoes
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 2 teaspoons dried basil
- 1 1⁄4 cups dry white wine
- 1 lb cheddar cheese, grated
Directions See How It's Made
- Melt the butter in a fondue dish or flameproof casserole. Add the onion and garlic and fry until softened.
- Drain the tomatoes thoroughly, then mash to a pulp. Add to the onion with the oregano, paprika, basil and wine. Season with pepper to taste. Cook gently for 10 minutes.
- Gradually stir in the cheese and cook over a low heat until melted. Check the seasoning. Serve immediately with bread cubes. Dip these into the hot fondue before eating.