Prep 10 mins
Cook 35 mins
From Southern Living March 2007 test kitchen's top rated recipes. The tomatoes need to be drained really well, as the tomatoes give off some more liquid when baking.
- 1 (10 ounce) package frozen chopped spinach, thawed
- 1⁄4 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 2 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 2 tablespoons Japanese-style bread crumbs (panko) or 2 tablespoons dry breadcrumbs
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 2 (28 ounce) cans whole tomatoes, drained and coarsely chopped
- Drain spinach well, pressing between paper towels.
- Combine Parmesan cheese, 1 tablespoons olive oil, and 2 tablespoons breadcrumbs in a small bowl.
- Cook onion in remaining 1 tablespoons hot oil in a medium skillet over medium heat 5 minutes or until tender.
- Add garlic, and cook 1 more minute.
- Stir in spinach, and cook 2 minutes or until thoroughly heated.
- Remove from heat, and stir in salt, pepper, and nutmeg.
- Place tomatoes in a 9-inch square baking dish.
- Spoon spinach mixture evenly over tomatoes; sprinkle with breadcrumb mixture.
- Bake at 400° for 25 minutes or until golden brown.
- Serve immediately.
This is totally yummy! I made this last night as a side dish with our roasted chicken and we loved it! Thanks for posting this- it's a definite keeper!