1/1 Photo of Tomato Fennel Soup
An elegant starter soup, especially for winter when the best tomatoes come in cans. From the Mediterranean Vegan Kitchen.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 medium fennel bulb, trimmed, cored & chopped (about 12 oz.)
- 2 tablespoons feathery fennel leaves, chopped (save for garnish)
- 4 medium shallots, finely chopped
- 1 small carrot, finely chopped (about 2 oz.)
- 28 ounces canned tomatoes, undrained
- 1/2-1 cup vegetable broth
- 1Heat the oil in medium stockpot over medium-low.
- 2Add fennel, shallots and carrot, cook until very soft but not brown, stirring occasionally.
- 3This will take about 15 minutes.
- 4Add tomatoes and 1/2 cup broth, bring to boil over high heat.
- 5Reduce heat and simmer gently for 15 minutes (uncovered), stirring occasionally.
- 6Transfer to blender or food processor in batches (I used an immersion blender right in the pan), and process until smooth.
- 7Adjust the seasonings, and add more veggie broth if necessary to achieve your desired consistency.
- 8Serve hot, garnished with the chopped fennel leaves.
- 9This soup reheats well.
Browse Our Top Bisques/Cream Soups Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Bisques/Cream Soups Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Tomato Fennel Soup
Serving Size: 1 (291 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 127.4
- Calories from Fat 64
- Total Fat 7.1 g
- Saturated Fat 0.9 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 324.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 15.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.1 g
- Sugars 5.3 g
- Protein 2.7 g
The following items or measurements are not included: