Recipe by annconnolly
A very flavorful soup good as a first course for a special dinner. Guests will rave about it. Bonus, very low fat. If you chose to use vegetable broth this can be vegetarian.
- 1 lb plum tomato, quartered
- 1 (14 ounce) can reduced-fat chicken broth (vegetable if you prefer)
- 1 large fennel bulb, coarsely chopped (2 C)
- 1 large onion, chopped (1 C)
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1⁄2 teaspoon savory
- 1⁄8 teaspoon pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Combine tomatoes, broth, fennel, onion, garlic, savory and pepper in a large saucepan.
- Bring to a boil and reduce heat.
- Simmer, covered 10-15 minutes until vegetables are tender.
- Put 1/2 the mixture in a processor and blend until smooth.
- Strain to remove tomato seeds and skins.
- Return to saucepan repeat with remaining mixture.
- Heat through.
- Garnish with parsley or chives.