Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
This hearty casserole makes an excellent anti-oxidant-packed side dish or vegetarian main dish. Originally from the magazine section of a Sunday Denver Post. I like to add some dried basil along with the oregano and thyme.
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 medium eggplant, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1 medium onion, sliced
- 1 medium green pepper, chopped
- 1 cup sliced mushrooms
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can no-salt-added diced tomatoes
- 1 (8 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 1⁄2 cup capers (optional)
- 1 cup chopped Italian parsley
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon thyme
- salt and black pepper
- 1 cup shredded parmesan cheese
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- In a large saucepan over medium heat, heat oil; add eggplant.
- Cook until softened, 10 to 12 minutes, stirring constantly to prevent sticking.
- Remove from heat; add all remaining ingredients except cheese.
- Transfer mixture to a shallow casserole dish; sprinkle with cheese.
- Bake 45 minutes, uncovered, until bubbly and golden brown; serve.