Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr
This is jus ol'po'folk food. A little old man I know wanted me to make this recipe that he loved that his wife had made, so here's my adaptation. This is so good you just can't believe how wonderful and cozy this tastes. It makes the eater warm & fuzzy inside!
- 3 -4 lbs cooked deboned chicken
- 12 ounces frozen kettle dumplings
- 2 (8 ounce) canswhole stewed tomatoes, in juice
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 (16 ounce) box chicken broth (Swansons reccommended)
- 2 cups water
- 1 dash poultry seasoning
- cracked black pepper (4 grinds)
- 1⁄2 cup whole milk
- 1 (12 ounce) can V8 vegetable juice
- Boil chicken; reserving some of the broth for extra flavor, drain and let chicken cool then debone and reserve the now shredded chicken for the dumplings.
- Next, put the chicken back in pot with the entire box of chicken broth. Let the broth and chicken come back up to a medium boil add seasoning and sugar.
- Follow the instructions on the package of frozen dumplings to prepare. I recommend the brand Kettle Dumplings, but you could use homemade dumplings.
- When the dumplings have cooked through, add the V-8 and the tomatoes.
- Add the salt & pepper and milk; stir constantly. Turn down to a simmer.
- Be careful that the pot doesn't scorch because you have to start over if your dumplings scorch.