Prep 10 mins
Cook 30 mins
My grandmother used to make these, years ago, when I was a little girl. I remember it feeling so good on a cold Michigan night. These are also good on your tummy, when you aren't feeling so well.
- 30 ounces tomatoes, with equal amounts water (or two cans)
- 1 small onions or 1 medium onion
- 1 tablespoon butter or 1 tablespoon margarine
- 2 cups flour
- 3⁄4 cup milk
- Combine first 5 ingredients together. Let boil for about 5 minutes. Then turn down heat, cover, and let simmer while making dumplings.
- Combine the flour and milk to make dumplings. It will be sticky.
- Drop into tomato pot, by teaspoon (they will expand). Cover and let stand, on low heat, for about 30 minutes or more.
- DO NOT OPEN LID until time is up.
This really is good. I've had them myself from my grandmother too. She's put a little something extra each time ( don't waste anything she'd say ) and it was always great. It's good when you mix green and red tomatoes from the garden also. Thanks for posting!