Prep 20 mins
Cook 15 mins
This soup is very fresh and light tasting. I've always served it warm, but I imagine it would be nice as a chilled soup on a warm day, too. Substitute vegetable broth for the chicken broth and this is a lovely vegetarian soup.
- 1⁄2 cup butter
- 1 cup onion, finely chopped
- 1 cup carrot, finely chopped
- 1 cup celery, finely chopped
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic cloves
- 1 teaspoon basil
- 1 teaspoon thyme
- 1 teaspoon tarragon (optional)
- 1⁄2 cup all-purpose flour
- 3 cups chicken broth (or vegetable broth, for a vegetarian meal)
- 1 (35 ounce) can diced tomatoes with juice
- 2 1⁄2 cups tomato juice (I used V-8)
- 1 cup heavy cream or 1 cup whipping cream
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 tablespoon fresh dill, chopped
- Melt butter in a large saucepan over medium-high heat.
- Add onions, carrots and celery and cook until softened, 8 to 10 minutes.
- Stir in garlic, basil, thyme and tarragon (optional). Cook 1 minute.
- Stir in flour and cook 4 to 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add chicken broth, tomatoes and their liquid, and tomato juice. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer 10 minutes.
- Stir in heavy cream or whipping cream and sugar. Cook 5 minutes until heated through.
- Just before serving, stir in fresh dill.
Excellent soup. Perfect blending of flavors. I used fresh thyme, and fat-free milk rather than cream. I left out the tarragon. My daughter took a tupperware home with her, and she's fussy. Thank you for posting.