Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 30 mins
Cook 30 mins
From the book Greene on Greens by Burt Greene
Make and share this Tomato Devil's Food With Tomate Butter Cream Frosting recipe from Food.com.
- 2 large ripe tomatoes (about 1 lb)
- 4 ounces sweet chocolate
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 1⁄4 cup milk
- 3 egg yolks
- 2 cups sifted cake flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 8 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 egg whites
- 1 medium ripe tomatoes (about 1/4 lb)
- 1 1⁄2 cups unsalted butter, softened
- 4 egg yolks
- 1 tablespoon cognac
- 3⁄4 cup powdered sugar
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- For the cake: Peel and seed the tomatoes. Place them in a blender and blend until smooth. Measure off and reserve 1 1/4 c puree.
- Place the chocolate, brown sugar, milk and one egg yolk in the top of a double broiler. Cook, stirring occasionally, over hot water until smooth and slightly thickened. Set aside.
- Sift the flour with the baking soda and salt.
- Beat the butter in a large mixing bowl until light. Slowly beat in the sugar. Add the remaining 2 egg yolks, one at a time, beating thoroughly into mix.
- Add the tomato puree, vanilla and the chocolate mixture. Beat thoroughly and then fold in the flour mixture.
- Beat the egg whites until stiff and fold into cake batter. Pour the batter into two greased 9-inch cake pans. Bake 25-30 minutes.
- For the frosting: Cut tomato in half and place into blender. Blend until smooth. Strain through a sieve and reserve 4 1/2 tablespoons of sieved puree.
- Beat the butter in a large bowl until light. Add the egg yolks, one at a time. Add the strained tomato puree and the cognac. Slowly beat in the powdered sugar.
- Spread the icing over the bottom layer, the sides and the tops of the cake after they cool. Keep the place in a cool dry place.