Recipe by MarieRynr
A hearty canape that will disappear before your eyes. If you'd like, you can toast the bread rounds and prepare the filling several hours ahead.
Top Review by gillyflower 12
I liked the sound of this, but wasn't interested in making canapes, nor heating the oven. I have a sandwich making machine, so I put this lovely filling between two slices of bread, buttered the outsides and put it into the machine. I made the mayonnaise, used ordinary tomatoes and left the bacon in slices. As a supper, it was very good.
- 25 small bread rounds or 25 slices rye cocktail bread
- 1 cup grated cheddar cheese, Jarlsberg or 1 cup monterey jack cheese
- 2 bunches green onions, finely chopped
- 1⁄2 green pepper, finely chopped
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- 1⁄2 teaspoon garlic salt
- 1⁄8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 pint cherry tomatoes, sliced
- 8 slices cooked bacon, crumbled
Directions See How It's Made
- Toast only one side of bread slices under broiler. Cover to keep fresh and set aside.
- Combine cheese, onions, and green pepper with 2/3 cup of the mayonnaise. Season with garlic salt and cayenne pepper. Refrigerate if making ahead.
- Shortly before serving time, preheat oven to 350*F.
- Spread untoasted sides of bread with remaining 1/3 cup mayonnaise. Top with tomato slices, and then cheese mixture. Sprinkle with bacon.
- Bake 3 to 5 minutes, until bubbly and lightly browned. Serve immediately.