This recipe is amazingly versatile. My friend Sirisha from South India gave it to me. Read the end for how to change it for the different versions. Some of the ingredients are more easily available in Indian grocery stores (particularly the dal and curry leaves). You can sub half a jalepeno for the chile... leave the seeds or take them out as your spicy preference dictates. I always take the seeds out of the Thai chiles, and it comes out "moderately spicy."
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Wash dahl 2x. Soak half an hour or so if you want it softer. Add 3 c water.
- 2Cook dahl 20-25 minutes over medium heat.
- 3Add diced tomatoes, green chiles, and turmeric. Cook 20 minutes.
- 4In a separate pan, heat oil (medium heat). Add mustard seeds, cumin seeds, red chiles, and asafoetida. Mustard seeds will "pop" like popcorn. (I advise keeping a lid on it to avoid seeds all over your stove.).
- 5Add seed mixture to dahl. Add salt to taste and curry leaves. Cook for 2-3 more minutes. Serve with rice. Enjoy!
- 6To make mango dal, cut up 2 green mangoes. (again, available in Indian grocery stores). Use in place of tomatoes. This makes a sweet dal.
- 7To make cucumber dal, peel and cut up 2 cucumbers or Indian cucumbers (dosaki). Use in place of tomatoes.
- 8To make lemon dal, do not add a vegetable and add the juice of 2 lemons with salt and curry leaves.
- 9To make spinach dal, add 2 c fresh spinach (or frozen spinach) about 10 minutes before cooking is over.
- 10You may have to add a little water with the different types of veggies.
Browse Our Top Lentil Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Lentil Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Tomato Dahl Dal (Or Mango, or Cucumber, or Lemon, or Spinach)
Serving Size: 1 (251 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 257.1
- Calories from Fat 39
- Total Fat 4.3 g
- Saturated Fat 0.5 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 17.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 41.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 17.8 g
- Sugars 7.8 g
- Protein 15.7 g
The following items or measurements are not included: