Prep 30 mins
Cook 0 mins
What a neat little soup! Simple, flavorful, goes great with crusty bread! Found originally in Seasonal Celebrations (Coast to Coast).
- 1⁄4 cup butter
- 1⁄2 cup chopped onion
- 2 1⁄2 teaspoons curry powder
- 28 ounces crushed tomatoes, undrained
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 1⁄2 cup sour cream
- General Note: I use Pam olive oil spray instead of butter, and low-fat sour cream.
- Melt butter in saucepan. Sauté onion until tender. Add curry powder and cook an additional minute to blend flavors.
- Stir in tomatoes and broth. Bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat and simmer for 15-20 minutes.
- Add 1/2 cup sour cream and let it melt into the soup.
- With a whisk, beat until smooth.
Thanks, MechanicalJen, for this wonderful lunch! Very easy, and delicious. I made this with veggie broth instead of chicken broth, but I imagine that the chicken broth would only have made the flavor richer. I also used olive oil instead of butter. Just prior to adding the sour cream, I also added a generous pinch of baking soda to the soup (an old Italian grandma taught me that trick). After the foaming and bubbling has subsided, the baking soda takes away the sour edge from a tomato-based sauce or soup, but doesn't alter the flavor at all. Made for PAC Spring 2008.