Prep 0 mins
Cook 15 mins
Lost Recipes by Marion Cunningham.
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 1⁄3 cup finely diced onion
- 1⁄3 cup finely diced green bell pepper
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 1 tablespoon curry powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 16 ounces stewed tomatoes, chopped with liquid
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- Melt butter in a skillet and add onion, bell pepper, garlic, curry powder and, thyme. Cook, stirring, over medium heat until vegetables are softened. Add tomatoes and liquid and simmer gently for 5 minutes. You may add water if sauce becomes too thick. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
This is very similar to a sauce my MIL made. She used tomato sauce instead of stewed, no bell pepper and diced 1/4# bacon in small pieces. She fried the bacon and drained it well before adding to the sauce. I believe the sauce also had a splash of vinegar in it. It was served over cooked long grain white rice. It was an inexpensive meal for a family of nine.