Recipe by *Nabiha*
My husband really likes this on some rice alongwith spicy fried chicken. A recipe by Tarla Dalal. When adding water, I suggest adding a little at a time and stirring immediately so that no lumps are formed.
- 4 large tomatoes
- 1⁄2 teaspoon mustard seeds
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cumin seed
- 1 green chili, chopped
- 5 -6 curry leaves
- 2 cloves
- 2 tablespoons chickpea flour
- 1⁄4 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 2 teaspoons red chili powder
- 1 pinch asafoetida powder (hing)
- 2 tablespoons jaggery, grated (palm sugar)
- 2 tablespoons oil
- salt, to taste
- 1 tablespoon chopped coriander
Directions See How It's Made
- Roughly chop the tomatoes and cook them with 1/2 cup of water for about 10-15 minutes.
- Cool and liquidize in a food processor to get a smooth puree. Keep aside.
- Heat the oil in a saucepan and add the mustard seeds and cumin seeds. When they crackle, add the green chilli, curry leaves, cloves and chickpea flour and cook for 2-3 minutes.
- Add the turmeric, chilli powder, asafoetida and pureed tomatoes with 2 cups of water and cook on a medium flame, stirring continuously.
- When the curry comes to a boil, add the jaggery and salt and simmer for another 5 minutes. Remove from fire.
- Garnish with coriander and serve hot with rice.