Recipe by DeeCooks
This is so refreshing in the summertime. It's from Epicurious originally, but I marinate the red onions with the cukes, too. (Better that way!) It's a great barbecue side--- I can't count how many parties we've served this at, often by request!
Top Review by Tisme
This is such a great recipe. So light and refreshing, just the thing for a slight salad or side dish in summer. The flavours are so great together and not too overpowering. I made the recipe the same as it states.....except I used small grape tomatoes, which I halved instead of chopped large tomatoes. DH just loved this salad, and he is not one for salad's with dressings at all. Such a great recipe Dee and so easy to put together, I will be making this again. Thanks for sharing.
- 2 large cucumbers
- 1⁄3 cup red wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3 large tomatoes, coarsely chopped
- 2⁄3 cup red onion, coarsely chopped
- 1⁄2 cup of fresh mint, chopped
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
Directions See How It's Made
- Cut cucumbers in half lengthwise; scrape out seeds.
- Cut halves diagonally into 1/2-inch-wide pieces.
- Place in large bowl with red onions. Add vinegar, sugar and salt. Let stand at room temperature 1 hour; toss occasionally.
- Add tomatoes, mint and oil to cucumber mix and toss to blend.
- Season with salt and pepper.