Prep 10 mins
Cook 5 mins
The recipe comes from About.com and has been modified slightly. Vine ripened tomatoes is a must for this quick to fix side dish.
- 4 tomatoes, vine ripened
- 1 medium cucumber
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 1 teaspoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1⁄4 teaspoon sugar
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh basil
- Slice the tomatoes and cucumber in thin slices; arrange on salad plates alternating cucumber and tomatoes.
- In a small dish, combine the vinegar, oil and sugar; drizzle over sliced tomatoes and cucumber; sprinkle with fresh basil.
- Can be served immediately or refrigerate for 30 minutes prior to serving.
A perfect salad for vine-ripened tomatoes. I made a serving for two and diced the tomato and cucumber rather than slice. Also skipped the oil and sugar because we're trying to limit calories. Am making it again tonight for dinner and will let it sit 30 minutes at room temp before serving. Yum, yum! Thanks for posting.
What a lovely summer salad Paula. I used vine ripen tomatoes and mini cucumbers. I scaled the recipe down for two people. It was a wonderful salad, fresh, flavorful, refreshing and quick and easy to make. I really enjoyed the dressing. Made for Spring Pac 2014.
A wonderful way to enhance already delicious juicy, ripe tomatoes. I used a balsamic garlic dipping oil, with the addition of the sugar. Mmmmmmm...simple and delicious. I will be using this recipe often this summer. Made for June, 2009 Aussie/NZ Swap. Update: This recipe is in my Top Favorites of 2009 Cookbook.