Recipe by Boomette
A creamy soup with fresh tomatoes or canned. The last step with whipped cream can be omitted.
Top Review by *Parsley*
Fabulous flavor. I made this as written, but skipped the whipping cream garnished and instead used a dallop of light sour cream. The carrots add a great flavor and touch of sweetness. The texture was not to runny and not to thick.... just perfect. Fresh basil would be great in this as well. Thanx!
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 onions, chopped
- 2 celery ribs, chopped
- 2 carrots, chopped
- 6 tomatoes, peeled, cut in 4 (2 lb) or 28 ounces diced tomatoes
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 5 1⁄2 ounces tomato paste
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 2 -3 dashes Tabasco sauce
- 3⁄4 cup heavy cream
Directions See How It's Made
- In a casserole, melt butter at medium heat. Add onions, celery and carrots. Cook, stirring from time to time, for about 5 minutes or until vegetables have soften.
- Add tomatoes, chicken broth, water, tomato paste, sugar, salt and tabasco. Bring to boil. Reduce heat, cover and let simmer 15 to 20 minutes or until vegetables are tender. Let cool down a bit.
- In food processor or blender, reduce vegetable mixture in a creamy texture, in 2 batches. Pour the creamy soup in the casserole, add 1/4 cup of heavy cream and heat at low heat until the soup is warm.
- Then, in a little bowl, with a mixer, beat the remaining heavy cream until soft peaks. When ready to serve, garnish each serving with whipped cream.