Recipe by Dee_73
I had this soup this past weekend at a wedding up in Maine and I thought I was in heaven. The chef told me the basic ingredients and I went on a hunt. I found this recipe and made it tonight. The exact same thing I had. Originally it came from a place in New Hampshire :)
- 1 large Spanish onion
- 3 ounces butter
- 3 lbs canned peeled plum tomatoes
- 1 tablespoon dried basil
- 1 pint heavy cream (half and half) or 1 pint cream (half and half)
- 1 -2 tablespoon brown sugar
- 5 tablespoons cognac
- salt and pepper
- minced parsley (to garnish)
Directions See How It's Made
- Chop the onion and saute in butter for 20 minutes until soft and translucent but not brown.
- With your fingers, squash the tomatoes; add them and all liquid in the can to the onion. Add basil brown sugar and stir.
- Bring the soup to boil, then simmer covered, for 30 minutes.
- Set aside and cool slightly, then puree the soup in a food processor.
- In a small saucepan heat the cream with sugar, whisking often. Pour this mixture into the soup.
- Reheat, but do not boil.
- Just before serving, add the cognac and season with salt and pepper.
- Garnish with parsley and serve.