Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr
I had this soup this past weekend at a wedding up in Maine and I thought I was in heaven. The chef told me the basic ingredients and I went on a hunt. I found this recipe and made it tonight. The exact same thing I had. Originally it came from a place in New Hampshire :)
- Chop the onion and saute in butter for 20 minutes until soft and translucent but not brown.
- With your fingers, squash the tomatoes; add them and all liquid in the can to the onion. Add basil brown sugar and stir.
- Bring the soup to boil, then simmer covered, for 30 minutes.
- Set aside and cool slightly, then puree the soup in a food processor.
- In a small saucepan heat the cream with sugar, whisking often. Pour this mixture into the soup.
- Reheat, but do not boil.
- Just before serving, add the cognac and season with salt and pepper.
- Garnish with parsley and serve.
Yum!! This soup was wonderful! Simple and creamy. I think it would also be good to puree only 1/2 of the soup mixture to give it a little more texture. Thanks Dania!