Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr
A rich, tangy, Guyanese-Canadian stew. Enhances healthy vegetables in a simple, slow-cook one-pot dish.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 tablespoons garam masala
- 3 ounces tomato paste
- 1 (12 ounce) can coconut milk
- 12 ounces water
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 2 carrots, chopped
- 1 small potato, diced
- 1 jalapeno pepper, seeded and minced
- 1 cup green beans, stemmed and chopped
- 1 cup Brussels sprout, cut in half lengthways
- 1 (4 ounce) can bamboo shoots (optional)
- 200 g extra firm tofu, cut in 2 cm cubes
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon Tabasco sauce (to taste)
- Sautee onions in olive oil until transparent, then add garum masala. Add tomato paste and coconut milk, stirring well, and thin with water. Add tofu and vegetables. Simmer for 45 minutes to 1 hour. Serve over rice, quinoa, or couscous, or as is.
- For non-vegans, try substituting shrimp or chicken for tofu.