Prep 30 mins
Cook 1 hr
my variation on classic condiment
- 250 g onions
- 1 1⁄2 kg ripe tomatoes
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 pinch cayenne pepper
- 150 ml malt vinegar
- 175 g sugar
- finely chop onion.
- remove skins from tomatoes and chop.
- cook onions in stock pot till soft, add tomatoes and continue cooking.
- add salt, spices and vinegar, stir well and continue to cook further 10 mins.
- add sugar, stir well and simmer over a low heat approx 35 - 45 mins, stirring occasionally.
- pour into steralised jars and seal.
- to steralise jars in the microwave - half fill jars with water and heat them on high until the water boils. empty and drain upside down on paper towels. ensure the jars are warm when filled.
- (servings are approx).