Prep 20 mins
Cook 30 mins
A comforting soup that I like to make on the weekend and enjoy for lunch throughout the week.
Make and share this Tomato Chowder recipe from Food.com.
- 2 cups potatoes, diced
- 3⁄4 cup onion, minced
- 1 cup celery, chopped
- 3 cups tomatoes, de-skinned, chopped
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon oregano
- 2 1⁄2 cups boiling water
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1⁄4 cup flour
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons salt
- 1 1⁄2 cups extra-sharp cheddar cheese, grated
- 2 cups milk
- 1 tablespoon parsley
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dry mustard
- Combine the first 7 ingredients in a large saucepan. Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer until vegetables are tender (approx. 15 min).
- Make a double boiler by placing a glass bowl over a pot of simmering water, making sure that the water does not touch the bowl.
- Add butter and stir while it melts. Sprinkle in flour, salt, pepper and mustard. Add milk all at once. Stir in Worcestershire sauce and continue stirring until smooth.
- Add cheese and stir until cheese has melted and sauce is thick.
- Add to vegetables and bring to a boil.
- Add parsley and serve piping hot.
This recipe was a great foundation for what I wanted. When I cook something, I like to get as many food groups in there as possible. Here's what I did, and it turned out fantastic.<br/><br/>I doubled everything in the recipe. Added one pound of rotini, which I just cooked on the side. Added grilled chicken, which was seasoned in italian seasoning, and cut up into little pieces. It was about 2 cups of chicken once diced. And since I added more ingredients, I added one more serving of the broth (as in one more of the servings as per the original recipe, so in other words, I tripled the broth recipe). It was amazing! Very hearty!
This is a terrific soup! I left out the onion (personal preference) otherwise made as specified. I really liked that it was not a "tomato soup" or a "potato soup", but a lovely broth with firm pieces of each veggie in it. I will be using this recipe again - thanks for sharing it! Made for Fall PAC 2008
This is excellent!. I loved the cooking methods used. I also like the ingredients and it was a full bodied chowder. I used mild cheddar a personal preference for our family.Thank you.