Grilling the tomatoes gives them the best flavour, but blistering them under a broiler works as well.
- Preheat grill or broiler. Grill or broil tomatoes until they become brown and blister.
- Cook until soft, about ten minutes. remove and cool.
- Peel the tomatoes. Place in a bowl and mash. Set aside.
- Heat oil in a frying pan and add the onion. Saute until translucent, then add the garlic.
- Fry garlic until it turns golden brown, then add nigella seeds and fry until they begin to pop.
- Stir in the tomatoes and saute for about 2 minutes. Season with salt and black pepper to taste.
- Serve with Indian flat bread or as a side dish with rice.