Prep 10 mins
Cook 10 mins
Grilling the tomatoes gives them the best flavour, but blistering them under a broiler works as well.
- 4 large beefsteak tomatoes
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 1⁄2 medium onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1⁄2 teaspoon nigella seeds (optional)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt (to taste)
- fresh ground black pepper
- Preheat grill or broiler. Grill or broil tomatoes until they become brown and blister.
- Cook until soft, about ten minutes. remove and cool.
- Peel the tomatoes. Place in a bowl and mash. Set aside.
- Heat oil in a frying pan and add the onion. Saute until translucent, then add the garlic.
- Fry garlic until it turns golden brown, then add nigella seeds and fry until they begin to pop.
- Stir in the tomatoes and saute for about 2 minutes. Season with salt and black pepper to taste.
- Serve with Indian flat bread or as a side dish with rice.
This is easy and tasty! I broiled my tomatoes and they were perfect in 10 minutes...the skin came right off. I only used 3 tomatoes and half the olive oil. I used a red onion. I substituted mustard seeds for the nigella seeds. I garnished it with fresh cilantro. This could be a quick meal if you put on some rice. Put the tomatoes under the broiler and start cooking the onions all in a row. My husband really LOVED this! Made for Zaar Tag.