Prep 30 mins
Cook 30 mins
This is a great recipe for using all the extra tomatoes from the garden along with any other vegetables on hand. Ground chicken, pork or sausage can be added to make the meal a little more substantial.
- 10 -12 fresh tomatoes, peeled & blended
- olive oil
- 5 -6 garlic cloves
- 1 -2 lb ground chicken (optional) or 1 -2 lb pork (optional) or 1 -2 lb sausage (optional)
- 1 cup red onion, diced
- 2 -3 cups green peppers, diced
- 1 -2 jalapeno, diced
- 1 (14 ounce) can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 cup corn
- 2 cups chicken stock
- 1 cup white rice, cooked
- 1⁄2 bunch cilantro, roughly cut, some reserved for topping
- 2 green onions, diced
- fat free sour cream
- Heat oil with garlic over med-hi heat.
- (if using meat, add meat and brown. Drain excess grease).
- Add onions and cook 5 min.
- Add peppers and cook until soft.
- Add beans and corn and cook 1 min, just to warm.
- Add blended tomatoes, chicken stock, cilantro, and cooked rice.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Simmer 15-20 minutes, or until desired thickness is achieved.
- Serve topped with green onions, chopped cilantro and a dab of (fat free) sour cream.
Terrific recipe! I substituted grape and cherry tomatoes for the equivalent amount of regular tomatoes, and it worked out great.