Prep 10 mins
Cook 40 mins
From Cooking Light magazine.
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 cup onion, chopped
- 1 tablespoon gingerroot, peeled and minced
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 2 teaspoons garam masala
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons brown mustard seeds
- 1⁄4-1⁄2 teaspoon cayenne
- 1⁄2 cup light coconut milk
- 1 tablespoon jalapeno pepper, seeded and chopped
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 2 (15 1/2 ounce) cans chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 1 (28 ounce) can diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 (8 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 3 tablespoons fresh cilantro
- Heat oil in large nonstick skillet over med heat. Add onion, ginger, and garlic, cook 5 minute Stir in garam masala, mustard seeds, and cayenne; cook 2 min, stirring frequently. Stir in coconut milk and remaining ingredients except cilantro; bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat and simmer 35 min, stirring occasionally. Remove from heat and stir in cilantro.
This recipe is great. I used the full 1/2 tsp of cayenne pepper and added 1/2 tsp of cumin. I served it over brown basmatti rice with yogourt and some steamed broccoli on the side.