Prep 30 mins
Cook 30 mins
My all time favorite chicken recipe! The wine and lemon give this such great flavor. Recommend serving with rice pilaf.
- 4 chicken breasts
- salt (to taste)
- pepper (to taste)
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 3 tablespoons clarified butter
- 1⁄4 cup white onion (diced)
- 1 tablespoon garlic (minced)
- 3⁄4 cup dry white wine
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 1⁄2 cups tomatoes (peeled, seeded, diced)
- 1 cup chicken stock
- 6 basil leaves (chiffonade)
- Pound the chicken flat to achieve an even layer and to promote even cooking.
- Dredge in flour with salt and pepper to taste.
- Heat a large saute pan over medium-high heat. Add the clarified butter and heat through. Saute the breasts in the butter, browning them on both sides. Remove the breasts from the pan and hold in a warm place.
- Add the onions to the pan and saute until translucent. Add the garlic and saute for 1 minute.
- Deglaze the pan with the white wine and lemon juice, scraping up any browned bits from the bottom of the pan.
- Add the tomato and chicken stock. Simmer to combine the flavors; reduce the sauce to the desired consistency.
- Add the basil to the sauce and return the chicken breasts for reheating. Adjust the seasonings and serve chicken breasts with a portion of the sauce.
Delicious! It exceeded my expectations. I especially appreciated this recipe because I was able to serve the breaded/pan-fried chicken to my husband (who isn't crazy about sauces or tomatoes) plain and then put my chicken back into the lovely sauce. The tomato sauce is so tasty and I loved it spooned over the rice, too. Thanks for a simple, quick and tasty recipe! Made for Spring 2013 Pick A Chef.
Wow! This is delicious, very fresh-tasting with the pan fried chicken, tomatoes, basil and lemon juice. I scaled the recipe for a smaller portion, but did allow for proportionately more sauce. I fried the chicken in a mixture of butter and olive oil, and used vermouth instead of white wine. I stuck to the recipe for everything else. Thank you very much for sharing this lovely recipe with us.