Prep 10 mins
Cook 30 mins
A quick and hearty dish that reheats well
Make and share this Tomato Chicken and Rice recipe from Food.com.
- 9 -12 boneless skinless chicken tenders or 3 -4 boneless skinless chicken breasts, cubed
- 1 1⁄2 cups long grain rice
- 2 (14 ounce) cans stewed tomatoes (juice reserved) or 2 (14 ounce) cans diced tomatoes (juice reserved)
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 3 tablespoons minced garlic
- 1 tablespoon curry powder
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 1⁄3 cups water (approx)
- 1⁄4 cup water
- Open the tomatoes and strain the juice into a measuring cup. I usually get one cup of juice from two cans.
- In a 3-qt sauce pan partially melt the butter and add the rice. Mix the rice with the butter and saute 3-4 minutes on medium heat, stirring every 45 seconds or so.
- Add the reserved juice from the tomatoes and enough water to equal a total of 3 1/3 cups of liquid (the amount of water is from an Uncle Ben's package, so please check the cooking directions on your rice and adjust accordingly).
- Using medium-high heat add the oil and onions to your favorite skillet, cooking until translucent.
- Add the garlic, tomatoes, and chicken. Sprinkle on the curry powder and add 1/4-1/2 cup of water to the skillet. Cover and cook on medium-low heat for approx 8-10 minutes, stirring frequently to coat the chicken with the liquid.
- Remove the lid from the chicken and allow sauce to reduce as it simmers.
- When rice has about 3-4 minutes of cook time left add it to the skillet and stir all ingredients together. I like to add a little more curry powder and red pepper flakes at this stage also.
- When the rice is at your desired texture the dish is ready to serve.