A quick and hearty dish that reheats well
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 9 -12 boneless skinless chicken tenders or 3 -4 boneless skinless chicken breasts, cubed
- 1 1/2 cups long grain rice
- 2 (14 ounce) cans stewed tomatoes (juice reserved) or 2 (14 ounce) cans diced tomatoes (juice reserved)
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 3 tablespoons minced garlic
- 1 tablespoon curry powder
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 1/3 cups water (approx)
- 1/4 cup water
- 1Open the tomatoes and strain the juice into a measuring cup. I usually get one cup of juice from two cans.
- 2In a 3-qt sauce pan partially melt the butter and add the rice. Mix the rice with the butter and saute 3-4 minutes on medium heat, stirring every 45 seconds or so.
- 3Add the reserved juice from the tomatoes and enough water to equal a total of 3 1/3 cups of liquid (the amount of water is from an Uncle Ben's package, so please check the cooking directions on your rice and adjust accordingly).
- 4Using medium-high heat add the oil and onions to your favorite skillet, cooking until translucent.
- 5Add the garlic, tomatoes, and chicken. Sprinkle on the curry powder and add 1/4-1/2 cup of water to the skillet. Cover and cook on medium-low heat for approx 8-10 minutes, stirring frequently to coat the chicken with the liquid.
- 6Remove the lid from the chicken and allow sauce to reduce as it simmers.
- 7When rice has about 3-4 minutes of cook time left add it to the skillet and stir all ingredients together. I like to add a little more curry powder and red pepper flakes at this stage also.
- 8When the rice is at your desired texture the dish is ready to serve.
Browse Our Top Chicken Breast Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Chicken Breast Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Tomato Chicken and Rice
Serving Size: 1 (242 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 297.0
- Calories from Fat 81
- Total Fat 9.1 g
- Saturated Fat 3.2 g
- Cholesterol 10.1 mg
- Sodium 349.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 49.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.7 g
- Sugars 7.2 g
- Protein 5.2 g
The following items or measurements are not included: