Prep 30 mins
Cook 3 hrs
My neighbors give me so many wonderful tomatoes from their gardens that I am always trying to find new ways to prepare them. I came up with this recipe for a dinner party we had last year.
- 2 cups boursin cheese
- 8 ounces cream cheese
- 1⁄2 cup parmesan cheese, grated
- 1⁄2 cup gruyere, grated
- 2 eggs
- 4 ounces mozzarella cheese (reserved)
- 4 tomatoes, provencale
- 2 1⁄2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup butter
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 3 tablespoons sour cream
- 1⁄3 cup ice water
- Filling directions:.
- Blend filling ingredients (except for mozzarella) until smooth and creamy.
- Tomatoes Provencale directions:.
- Use 3 or 4 large tomatoes.I slice them into 6 or 8 slices each, depending on the size.For smaller tomatoes, you can just cut them in half, but they'll take longer to cook.
- Put them in a baking pan that you line with non-stick foil or parchment paper. (This makes them much easier to remove from the pan). Brush a little olive oil on the paper first.
- Pour a bit more olive oil over the tomatoes, then sprinkle the tops with salt, garlic powder, a little sugar and any herbs you like. Sprinkle some breadcrumbs on the top. Put them in a 375 oven and cook until the juice has cooked down and they are starting to carmelize. You can make these a day ahead of preparing the tart.
- Pastry directions:.
- Cut butter into flour/salt/sugar mixture (easiest to use food proces-sor for this). Mix sour cream and ice water. Put half in food processor with flour. Pulse 3 or 4 times, if the dough is still dry, add a bit more liquid just until dough comes together. Pat dough into a circle and refrigerate for at least an hour. Can do this a day ahead.
- Roll out pastry and place in a large tart pan (mine is about 12 inches in diameter). Any leftover dough can be re-rolled, covered in a layer of sour cream and brown sugar, rolled up and sliced to make pinwheel cookies!
- Assemble the tart:.
- Pour filling over the unbaked pastry shell.
- Layer the tomato slices on top. Slice mozzarella over the tomatoes and bake in a pre-heated, 375 degree oven until golden (about 40 minutes).