Prep 20 mins
Cook 25 mins
Great for lunch served with a salad.
- 4 -5 slices French bread, about 1 inch thick
- 6 tablespoons butter or 6 tablespoons margarine
- 1 medium green pepper, diced
- 1⁄3 cup chopped onion
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 8 medium tomatoes, sliced
- 1 lb mozzarella cheese, cut in slices
- 3 -4 slices crisp bacon
- 3 eggs, beaten
- On large cookie sheet, arrange bread in a single layer.
- Bake slices in 400 oven until lightly browned.
- Cut bread into 1" cubes.
- Saute pepper, onion, garlic, sugar, salt, oregano and pepper til tender.
- Place bread cubes and sauteed veg in a greased baking dish.
- Beat eggs and pour over bread mixture.
- Arrange rows of tomatoes and cheese slices over bread mixture.
- Bake at 350 for 20-25 minutes until hot, and cheese is melted.