Prep 10 mins
Cook 30 mins
This was from Woman's Day Magazine (1988) - Lose Weight. Really good.
- 2 tablespoons butter, divided
- 1 cup diced tomato
- 1⁄2 cup onion, chopped
- 1 cup uncooked rice (must be short grain or medium grain)
- 1⁄3 cup dry white wine
- 2 cups chicken broth, divided
- 3 cups water
- 1⁄2 cup part-skim mozzarella cheese, shredded
- 1⁄4 cup swiss cheese, shredded
- 1⁄4 cup parmesan cheese, grated
- 1 1⁄2 cups 1% low-fat milk
- ground pepper
- In large, nonstick skillet over medium heat, melt 1 T butter. Cook tomatoes in hot butter, 3 to 5 minutes, until tender. Remove tomatoes, set aside. Cook onions in remaining 1 T butter, 3 to 5 minutes, until tender. Add rice; cook 2 to 3 minutes stirring frequently. Add wine; stir until absorbed. Increase heat to medium-high; stir in 1 cup broth.
- Cook, uncovered, until broth is absorbed, stirring constantly. Continue stirring, adding remaining 1 cup broth & water, allowing each cup to be absorbed before adding another, until rice tender & mixture has creamy consistency. (Total cooking time will be about 25 to 30 minutes.).
- Stir in cheese, milk & reserved tomatoes; cook until heated through. Add salt & pepper to taste. Serve immediately.