1/4 Photos of Tomato & Cheese Lasagna
3 hrs 10 mins
2 hrs 30 mins
I walked into my MIL's house one evening and was overcome with the heady scent of tomatoes, herbs, and cheeses. She was making lasagna, and this is the recipe she uses. Very tasty stuff. If you want to make this veggie-friendly, omit the bone and use salt and pepper as desired. Serve with a fresh green salad, crusty bread, and of course a lovely little glass of red. Prep time includes making the sauce, and I would also highly recommend using the pre-cooked lasagna noodles.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 7 large tomatoes, peeled, seeded and chopped
- 1 red onion, diced
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1 bay leaf
- 3 -5 sprigs fresh thyme, chopped
- 3 -5 sprigs basil, chopped
- 3 -5 sprigs parsley, chopped
- 1 pinch crushed red pepper flakes
- prosciutto or ham bone
- 1/4 lb parmesan cheese, grated
- 1/2 lb buffalo mozzarella, grated
- 1 cup ricotta cheese
- 1/4 cup fresh basil leaf, finely chopped
- 1/4 cup fresh Italian parsley, finely chopped
- ground black pepper
- lasagna noodle (I use ready-to-bake)
- 1To make the sauce: Take the onion and garlic, and sauté in olive oil in a large pot for a few minutes.
- 2Add the tomatoes, tomato paste, bay leaf, herbs, crushed red pepper, and prosciutto or ham bone.
- 3Simmer gently for about an hour and a half.
- 4Remove the bone, puree the sauce (carefully, since this will be hot), and taste for seasoning.
- 5The cheeses: Keep parmesan and mozzarella in separate piles.
- 6Add the chopped basil and parsley to the ricotta, and season with freshly ground black pepper.
- 7Layer the lasagne: In a dish that is 10x6x2, begin with a light layer of sauce on the bottom.
- 8Cover with a sheet of pasta, and spread it with sauce.
- 9Sprinkle with parmesan and mozzarella.
- 10Cover with another sheet of pasta and sauce.
- 11Put half of the ricotta and herb mixture on this layer.
- 12Repeat with a layer of pasta, sauce, and mozzarella and parmesan, then another layer of pasta, topped with remaining ricotta.
- 13Make one more layer of pasta and mozzarella and parmesan, ending with a top layer of pasta and sauce and parmesan.
- 14Cover the lasagna with foil and bake 20 minutes in a preheated 350-degree oven.
- 15Remove the foil and bake another 20 minutes or so, until the top is crusty and golden.
- 16Let sit for 5 or so minutes after removing from the oven.
- 17Cut into portions, grate with fresh parmesan and serve.
- 18Note: You can use store-bought sauce as a time-saver, but if you have the time its worth the wait.
- 19This may also be made earlier in the day: assemble and keep in the fridge until ready to cook.
Browse Our Top Eggs/Dairy Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Tomato & Cheese Lasagna
Serving Size: 1 (347 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 398.5
- Calories from Fat 258
- Total Fat 28.6 g
- Saturated Fat 13.0 g
- Cholesterol 67.4 mg
- Sodium 595.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 14.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.1 g
- Sugars 7.4 g
- Protein 22.6 g
The following items or measurements are not included: