Prep 10 mins
Cook 5 mins
This bread is wonderful made with garden fresh tomatoes, it's perfect for a barbecue! I used the Philadelphia brand soft cream cheese in the small tub for this. Use only firm plum tomatoes for this.
- 1 (8 ounce) container soft cream cheese
- 1⁄3 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh garlic (can use more)
- 2 -3 tablespoons chopped fresh basil
- salt and pepper
- 1 large unsliced French bread
- 4 large plum tomatoes, thinly sliced (can use less)
- Microwave the the cream cheese in a medium microwave-safe bowl on HIGH for 20 seconds; Add in the Parmesan cheese, garlic and basil; mix well to combine, then season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Slice the bread in half lengthwise.
- Evenly divide and spread the mixture over the cut sides of the bread.
- Top with the sliced tomatoes, then sprinkle a small amount of salt over the tomato slices.
- Broil about 5-inches away from heat with the oven door partially open for about 5 minutes.
- Cut into desired size slices.
This is my newest best friend. I've made it thrice before reviewing. Made for 123 Hit Wonders.
We liked the mixture of cream cheese. It's just the tomatoes on top that were not a big sucess. Maybe I'll prefer diced tomatoes on top. Thanks Kit. Made for 123 hit wonders
This was AWESOME! I made this with my baked spaghetti last night, and I only ate the bread! What great flavor! I did cut back on the garlic, slightly, and I didn't put in the basil, because DH doesn't like basil, but I subbed oregano. This was still great. I made all the cheese, and made this on hoagie rolls instead of the french bread, because that would have been too much for just the two of us. I saved the leftover cheese mixture in the fridge to use again this week. I don't like cold tomatoes, but I love them warm/hot on things like pizza or this bread. Thanks KITTENCAL for posting such a great recipe.